Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I approve this message, even if you don't!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8325579.stm

The above is a link to a BBC News story about a study that was done by a university in the UK. The study showed that couples in which the wife is at least five years younger than the husband had the greatest marital satisfaction. This was increased even more if said younger wife had a higher level of formal education than her husband. It was also shown that marriages in which the wife is older than the husband are the least happy of all.

I had to laugh, because it's Thak and me all over! Thak thought it was pretty great, too. We definitely give the researchers who drew these conclusions our stamp of approval!

The thing I've found funny is how many people are completely displeased with these results, saying they've got to be wrong, and other things of that nature. Sure, most people we know marry within a year of their age, so they wouldn't fall on the most optimal side of this study. Also, for some inane reason, the "older woman, younger man" thing is catching on like wildfire, and this study also showed that marriages in which the wife is older than the husband are the least happy of all, so that may be why a lot of people are taking offense to this. We think the study is right on in that case also. As you may recall, Thak's ex-wife was older than him, and she was pure hell to be married to. Sure, her age alone didn't make her that way, but it does put her neatly onto the bad side of this study, so I find it a little humorous if nothing else.

I don't know why people are taking offense to this thing. I don't take offense to things which go against what me and Thak are doing in some regard. Hell, I could name you three studies right now which we fall squarely on the bad side of. I guess I'm used to falling on the wrong side of public opinion, though. I am, after all, the younger, thinner, second wife who met her husband at work. I'm used to being Public Enemy #1. It's nice to have something that says we're doing it right for once!!

No comments: