Thursday, September 10, 2009

FRG

Why must everything in the Army be potluck? I hate potlucks. And most applicable to today's to-do list, why must tonight's FRG meeting be potluck? It's AFTER dinner time. Yes, "we" decided to have everyone just bring finger foods, but why do we even need food? We're just trying to fill leadership positions within the companies. If it were solely my decision [which obviously it's not!] we wouldn't have food there at all. Maybe it's my no-nonsense Ft. Stewart influence [which is part of why I'm in the position I'm in] but FRG meetings don't have food, and FRG potlucks are something completely different. Meetings are meetings and socials are socials. I guess we do them both together here??

The thing is, this unit is brand new, so there's no precedent on anything. We set the precedent, and the way we make things is how they will be in the battalion for a long time to come, long after I've left this place anyhow, so this is a big and important time for us. I guess we're setting the precedent of doing meetings as potlucks?? Oh well... There's another precedent I would like to set tonight, and that is of dressing nicely for meetings. I swear there is nothing I hate more than seeing some 400 pound Army wife in sweats and her husband's Basic Training company t-shirt [stretched to breaking point, of course], hair a mess, not a stitch of make-up, and coming to an FRG meeting like that. No, I'm sorry, but when you come to a unit function, you are representing your husband, and you need to have more respect for him, for the unit, and for everyone else in attendance than to show up looking like a fat sack of crap. For that reason, I have to figure out what I'm going to wear. I might end up making a new skirt. I've got tons of awesome material for just that in stock, so that may be something I'll go ahead and do once Erin's working on something independently today. Then tonight, I'll pair the new skirt with some dark brown heels (it is after labor day, after all!!) and whatever top goes with it, plus my peacoat since it's cold at night now, put my hair up in a Spanish chignon, touch up the make-up, and there you have Mrs. SSG M. I can only hope that others will follow this example. Since the unit is in its inaugural stages, there's a possibility. The Army needs more old-school, and this unit's got potential. I'm going to try.

Well, I have to run! Time for home schooling lessons, and sewing, and LOTS of cleaning!!! I can't get my game face on for the meeting if my house is a mess!!!

No comments: