Monday, September 24, 2012

You hate Obama because, WHAT?

America, you're killing me here.  Look, I understand, not everyone likes Obama.  That's ok.  You don't have to vote for him, and I won't tell you to.  What I will tell you, though, is that a lot of you look like idiots when asked why you're not voting for him.

Most common reason is, "I just don't like him".  Really?  Well, why don't you like him?  Somehow, you can never come up with anything.  I really hate to throw out this card because it's so old and tired, but I can't help but believe this translates to, "He's black".  I had no idea how much racism existed in this country until Obama was elected.  Hang on a second.  I'll make this quick, but hear me out.  Is there any other president within your lifetime who was as hated as Obama, for absolutely no quantifiable reason?  I couldn't stand Bush.  Ask me why, I'd tell you it's because he's a war monger.  A lot of people didn't like Clinton.  Ask them why, and they'd usually say it's because he's a cheater (although I personally don't think that matters as far as him doing his job, some people do, and at least it's an actual reason for their dislike).Obama, though? "I don't know, I just hate him."  Pretty fishy, America. Pretty fishy.  This concludes my discussion of the race issue.

I think the thing that slays me the most is that people think Obama has to get out of office RIGHT NOW, and they're basically scared to death of him.  When asked why, everything they tell me is so patently false that even Fox News wouldn't try to sell it.  First of all, can we please just agree that he's not a Muslim (although I'm not sure why that would matter), that he was born in the US (seriously, how many birth certificates does the man have to turn in before you people believe this?), and that he isn't the anti-Christ (because, sorry, but that doesn't exist. Disagree? Prove it.)?  Now that that's out of the way, let's talk about some of the other lies I've heard just today.

Obama wants to change the flag and the national anthem.  Oh, really?  This was one I hadn't heard yet, so I had to do some fact checking of my own when it appeared in my news feed this morning.  Of course, I could find nothing from any actual news source on it, and only a bunch of posts on Christian message boards came up.  Eventually, I checked Snopes, and there it was.  It was a rumor from a couple years ago about some comment that was supposedly made by Obama on Meet the Press back when he was a Senator, but he wasn't even on Meet the Press the day that comment was supposedly made. The entire idea that he wants to change our national anthem and flag is completely false, yet this girl rallied easily a dozen people around that idea this morning, talking about how much they "hate that man and want him OUT of office!"  Then, of course, I had to debunk it.  I wasn't in the mood to argue, so I simply said, "Not true." and posted the link to the Snopes page about it. She deleted the post shortly after, which didn't surprise me.

Obama wants to microchip us. This one really slays me.  Seriously?  How exactly would he accomplish that, even if he did want to do it?  I've looked for this provision in the Affordable Care Act (where it allegedly exists), and it's not there.  Hell, I've looked for all the things people say are awful in the Affordable Care Act, and I can't find them.  Please, people, before you speak out against something, at least read it first.  That way, if you oppose it, you can do so intelligently.  Nearly any point of view can be respectable, but it must be based in fact, not in rumors.

Obama wants to spy on us with "drones".  While I can understand the paranoia behind this one, let me just tell you as someone whose husband works in that particular field of aviation, federal airspace regulations make this one completely impossible.

Obama wants to tax all the working people, and give all our money to the people who are on welfare and won't get a job.  Dude.  Read some welfare regs sometime, and also, take a hard look at the part of the tax code that applies to you. Chances are, you're paying a lot less taxes than you think, and that people get a lot less welfare than you think.  Also, check out how much corporate welfare goes out.  If you're pissed about welfare, then maybe you should be looking at the real welfare queens, giant corporations that receive subsidies, bail outs, and tax breaks.  I'm not saying there aren't people who find a way to cheat the social welfare system, but I'm saying that they're not the biggest problem we have, and that Obama doesn't work for them.  Find me even one policy of his that supports the welfare queen lifestyle.  I'll give you a hint. It doesn't exist.


I'm not even telling you to vote for Obama.  If you're not going to, you're not going to.  What I am telling you is to look into why you are so against him, because there's a real possibility that the horrifying things you've heard, and bought into, are completely false.  Will this change your opinion? Well, probably not, but at least it will result in one less person spreading stupid rumors.  Election years would be far less irritating if people would actually learn the issues, and stick to them, instead of spreading lies.  The amount of lies this year has exceeded any reasonable expectation.  Let's cut back on that kind of thing, and focus on the issues.

No comments: