Friday, April 10, 2009

A good start.

I went to a wives' coffee this morning, and it went great. I met nice people, with nice kids Erin and Orren's ages, who aren't boring. You just can't ask for much better. These people are sane, and they're not the overly PC or overly dramatic crazy people I ran into all the time at Ft. Stewart. On the contrary, these people know that rank does play a role in determining who our peers are, and don't try to live under the delusion that a Staff Sergeant's wife in her late 20's or early/mid 30's should try to be best friends with a Private's wife who turned 18 last week. That was my biggest pet peeve about the wives I had known before, and it doesn't exist with these. That's good because Ft. Bliss has more young wives than any place I've ever seen, and at this point in my life, I have no interest in grasping at straws for polite conversation with 18-year-olds who think they're God's gift because their husband completed Basic Training a month ago. Not that there's anything wrong with those people, but I would rather know them in more of a mentor capacity. That's the way it's supposed to be, just as it is with our husbands, and these people think the same way as I do about this stuff. I cannot even tell you how relieved I was to find that out.

We're planning a girls' playdate very soon so that everyone with with daughters in Kidergarten and First Grade can all get together at a park and allow Erin to make some friends. Don't get me wrong, people with sons that age would also be welcome. It just happens that everyone with kids about Erin's age have daughters. Ironically, a lot of these people also have baby boys, so this is kind of a two-for-one thing for when Orren gets a little bigger and can do playgroups and stuff.

I'm going to love it here!!! Thak's hectic schedule won't be so hard if the kids and I have friends, and we're well on our way to that after this morning.

No comments: