Wednesday, August 26, 2009

It'll be homeschool for now.

I've spent the past three days running around to every decent school in east-central El Paso, and have absolutely nothing to show for it besides miles on my car. We didn't get in anywhere. Nobody had a slot. Our district is open enrollment, so you CAN go to schools you're not zoned for, but there has to be a slot. They don't have to just make room for you like they would if you're zoned for it, and well, nobody had room.

Tomorrow (um, after my friends leave... they kind of invited themselves over for coffee tomorrow morning...) I'll make one last trip to East Point, aka The Worst School on the Face of the Earth, and formally withdraw her. I'll also call the coordinator of the Ft. Bliss Military Homeschoolers' Group, and get us linked in with some other homeschooling families around here. I also have to buy a homeschooling curriculum, but it definitely has to wait until payday, which is less than a week away, since I blew all the money I had on the crap that school made us buy. Until then, May gave us all her daughter's stuff from 1st Grade to tide us over, so we'll be fine.

After a while, basically once I finally get caught up on all the orders I've put on the back burner while I was running around like a lunatic trying to find a good school with an opening, we'll start the application process to a couple of private schools, and see where that gets us. However, we both have kind of realized that there's a very strong possibility that we'll be homeschooling for the entire time we are here. We'll see how it goes with the private schools. No, homeschooling is not our first choice, but it's a far better choice than sending her back to that awful school we're zoned for. That is just not an option, so it's homeschool for us... for now.

What's next? That's all I want to know. Already, we have this:
1) Thak's position on special staff.
2) Thak is a full time student at night.
3) Because of #'s 1 and 2, I basically raise these kids by myself.
4) My business is growing every day.
5) I was just tapped for a prominent position in the battalion's Family Readiness Group. (Yeah, it's voluntary, but my choice was take it and make Thak look good, or refuse it and make him look awful. Not much of a choice, really...)
6) Now I homeschool.

Next, I have to figure out how to add an 25th hour to the day, and function on no sleep.

No comments: