Saturday, July 24, 2010

I have found the Bigfoot of blogs.

Click here when you're done reading this.

That link above, my fine friends, is the bloggy equivalent of Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and Atlantis. Why? Well, because it is a military wife blog that's NOT full of shit! Amazing!

I swear, I've read hundreds of military wife blogs over the past six years. The one thing they all had in common was that they were full of shit. They all revert to the old cliche crap of the same old tired poems about "silent ranks" and yellow ribbons, and the same old stupid songs that suck (Seriously, SheDaisy owes every dime they made to sappy military wives who insist on downloading the rag that is "Come Home Soon", and inflicting it on everybody they know via MP3 uploads and sappy Youtube vids featuring pictures of their husband, who always somehow bears a striking resemblance to Gomer Pile or Beetle Bailey.) , and the same old things that everyone with an email account has been forwarded 500 times (Does the phrase, "Dear Civilian Girl" come to mind? How about, "The Average Military Wife..."?) Then, best case, these cliche military wife bloggers out themselves as lower-enlisted by bitching very specifically about their husband's boss. (Let me tell you, it is hilarious and maddening at the same time when you figure out it's your husband they're talking about.)

This blog has NONE of that! None! It's honest, it's real, and I actually think I could be in the same room as this girl, and maybe even talk shop about deployments and the day to day BS, without wanting to jam the nearest blunt object into my ears repeatedly. (If you have ever been to an FRG meeting, and have a fully functional brain, you know what I'm talking about. Don't deny it.) No, this girl has an obviously functional brain, hasn't gotten swept up into the garbage, and sees things through somewhat normal eyes, as normal as can be expected of someone whose husband is on the other side of the planet anyhow. I must say, I LIKE it. For once, I identify with it!

So yeah, if you want to know the real deal on stuff, read that. The only thing I disagree with her on is her take on what R&R is like, because it was certainly much different than that for us, but her being a first tour wife, she can't be expected to be an authority. You don't have to be an authority to be real, though, and after six years of seeing a lifetime's worth of false bravado, over-inflated patriotism, and fake smiles to cover up ill intentions, REAL is outstanding. I can't believe it. A good military wife blog. Now I've seen everything.

No comments: