Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tomorrow my kids will climb their first mountain.

Tomorrow, Erin, Orren, and I are going hiking in the Hueco Mountains. Today, I'm getting them ready for it. We got the baby backpack out, and checked it. It seems to be in perfectly good condition, despite being stored for a few years. I put Orren in it to get him used to it. He didn't like it at first, being strapped in especially, but ultimately did enjoy walking around. I think it'll go fine. I'm glad we're doing this now. He's at the biggest setting on all the straps, so if I tried to do this next month, it wouldn't work! I don't know what the weight capacity of our backpack is, but the new ones of the same brand have a 50 pound overall capacity (they don't specify how much can be baby and how much can be other stuff in the gear compartment). Mine is six years old, so it's realistic that it may have a lower weight capacity than the new ones, but I can't imagine it would be less than 30 pounds. Orren's 29 pounds, so I'm sure we're ok.

But yeah, tomorrow, me and the kids are going to climb a mountain, as much of it as we can. I'm just really done with being limited by Thak's limitations, which are the reason we have not done this yet in the year and a half we've lived here. We're not going to do that anymore.

We'll take pictures to post, and should be back by the afternoon tomorrow. We'll be heading to the state park right after Thak leaves for work in the morning, and won't be back in time for lunch, so we'll be eating out there, which I'm sure the kids, especially Erin, will love.

No comments: