Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My 9-year-old has a cell phone.

I never thought I'd say those words.  I honestly thought she would be of whatever age she might be when she could get a job and pay for the thing, before she had a phone.  Then she got accepted to the school she's going to this year, and it's in a different state.  We want her to be able to call anytime she wants, without having to borrow a phone, wait until she gets home, or anything like that.  It just made sense, under the circumstances, that she have a phone.

I know for a fact that a lot of my friends who know about this think it's absolutely ridiculous.  Responses have included, "Oh hell no!" and "You did NOT!".  Some don't think it's bad at all.  My thing is, every circumstance is different.  Your 9-year-old may not need a phone.  Actually, chances are, they don't.  I totally understand why most people don't get kids this age phones.  I never thought I would either.  Then it was decided that Erin would be going to school out of state this year, and everything changed. 

It's also not the extravagant thing it may seem like.  We gave her my old flip phone, which is in great condition, and an adorable shade of purple, and put it as an extra line on our existing plan, for $9.99 a month.  She doesn't have a data plan. She doesn't have an iPhone.  She just has the ability to call whenever she wants, and she really likes her phone.

I'll admit, I like the idea of her having it.  That way, when she comes home, if Thak isn't around, like after he deploys, I won't have to go around looking for her to come in for dinner, or because we want to go somewhere.  This could make my life easier, too, in the long run.  

No comments: