Thursday, August 2, 2012

So... I don't have wisdom teeth anymore.

Well, that statement is about 3/4 of the way true.  I kept one of them because I use it, and am missing a molar on that side (root canal when I was 15, never got a crown for it, joined the Army 4 years later, and they pulled it).  The others fit ok, too, but the top ones caused all kinds of bad alignment including an overbite, and the other lower one was just kind of crowded, and was getting some big nasty cavities that would be nearly impossible to fix, given its position.  Therefore, at the age of 30, 6 years after they came in, I had 3/4 of my wisdom teeth removed.  I didn't realize how odd it is to get your wisdom teeth removed after age 21, but I didn't even have them until I was 24, so it kind of figures.

At my consult with the oral surgeon (I was referred there because one of my top wisdom teeth was broken and had the possibility of having to be cut out), they asked me if I wanted to be awake or asleep. I figured awake.  I mean, they weren't impacted.  It should be quick and easy, right?  The nurse thought that was crazy, and said that sometimes if it gets complicated, they have to have people come back and be sedated instead to finish the job.  Sold.  I'm doing this exactly once, and that's that.  IV sedation it is.  At that same appointment, the surgeon had a look at my wisdom teeth and said it should take him no more than 15 minutes to get them out, thought it would be an easy job.  That was good news.  I definitely like when the guy who does this stuff for a living seems to think it'll be simple.

A week later, it was time to have it done.  I was given a pill called Halcion, which would help with the sedation. They told me it's similar to Valium.  My RN friend Judy told me it's the same stuff they used for twilight births way back in the day.  I didn't know that, but after taking it, I kind of believe it.  I took the Halcion at 7:45, an hour before my appointment.  Then everything got a little hazy.  It was nothing like in the Army, when my buddy Scott took that stuff before having his wisdom teeth out, and passed out so hard we had to carry him down the stairs of the barracks.  I just started to feel really relaxed, and in a haze.  I went and sat in the car as Thak got the kids ready.  I remember putting my purse in the diaper bag so that it wouldn't get lost.  Then before I knew it, we were on our way to Statesboro.  I vaguely remember seeing the street where we needed to turn, and hoping Thak would remember it.  Then I remember getting out of the car, and sitting on the steps of the office while Thak unloaded the kids.

When we got inside, things got even hazier.  I signed in, and remember thinking it was a good sign that my name was on line 7 of the sign in sheet (it was on line 13 the first time I was there.  I don't like 7's or 13's on their own, but I like them together).  Next thing I remember, I was being called back to get prepped, and the nurse laughed because I picked up Chai and was bringing him with me.  I vaguely remember handing him to Thak, and then seeing Thak and the kids taken back to a room to see a video on how to care for me post-op, and being lead past there to the room.  I remember seeing an IV bag hanging from the ceiling, and being a little freaked out by that, and also a tray full of scary looking instruments which freaked me out a little, too, but I was too groggy to say or do anything about it, so I just sat there.  I remember that the IV hurt going in, being asked Thak's name twice, and how old the kids are, reminding me not to breastfeed for the rest of the day, and hearing a couple of nurses talk about how pretty Orren's hair is.  The last thing I remember was having a block put in my mouth to keep it open.

After that, the next thing I remember was Thak lifting me out of a wheelchair, and helping me into the car.  Then the drive home took what seemed like forever.  It was only like 40 minutes, though.  I don't remember coming in the house, but I do remember Thak taking my shoes off, and helping me into the bed.

I woke up about 4 hours later, not in any pain, but really thirsty because I hadn't been able to have anything to eat or drink from midnight the night prior.  I took the gauze out of my mouth, and drank some water.  Thak came in at some point, and checked on me.  He said we were in and out of the office in 45 minutes, that Erin and Orren, who had been watching a movie on Netflix on my phone, didn't even finish their movie before it was time to go.  At some point, he had run to Claxton to get my prescriptions and had gone to the grocery store for lots of pudding, ramen, soup, and jello, just anything he thought I could eat, while he was waiting for the prescriptions to be filled.  He explained all my prescriptions to me (antibiotic, steroid to prevent swelling, Vicodin for pain, and an anti-nausea drug just in case), then for the rest of the day, kept the soft foods coming, while I napped on and off, sleeping off the rest of the anesthesia.

All in all, it was easier than I thought it would be.  I didn't have any swelling, and only one tiny bruise that should go away in a couple weeks or less.  I haven't had to take any pain medication or anti-nausea medication.  Well, I did take a couple Tylenol early on, but no Vicodin.  I already couldn't nurse Chai for 24 hours due to the anesthesia, so I wasn't going to extend that out any.  Vicodin is supposedly safe for breastfeeding, but I didn't want to chance it unless it was absolutely necessary.  Luckily, it did not become necessary. That's probably because I ended up needing no cutting at all, just straight up simple extractions.  That definitely makes for an easier recovery.

Thak did great the whole day.  He cared for the kids all by himself, and didn't even yell at them, and he took care of me, and didn't act like it was a pain.  I just texted him when I needed anything, and he'd bring it to me.  Today, he's back to work, and I'm still doing great.  I still have no swelling, still staying on top of the antibiotics, and need no pain medication.  I even had coffee this morning! (I cooled it down to body temperature, just like the soups I ate yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to have hot drinks yet.)  All in all, I wish I'd done this years ago, but Thak never had time to help me with the kids in order for me to get it done.  I'm just glad to have it over with now.  It wasn't half as bad as people said it was. Honestly, the worst part was that the one day Thak's cooking actually smelled edible, I couldn't eat any of whatever it was that he made!  All in all, though, I am well on my way to recovery, now more than 24 hours afterward, and I am so happy to have cut the wisdom teeth population down by 75%.  Things can only get better from here.

No comments: