Friday, February 20, 2009

My boy and my girl

Orren has fully outgrown all his 3 months sized clothes. He is 8 weeks old. The thing that is really funny is that he's outgrowing them height-wise, not width-wise. He's definitely getting chunky about the thighs as babies always do, but other than that, he's not fat. He's just really tall. I decided to measure him just now, and he is 25 inches. That means he has grown nearly 4 inches since he was born, and 3 of those within the past month. We knew he'd had a massive growth spurt, and we know that he eats as much as the average 4-month-old, but we had no idea he had grown THIS much.

I was curious as to where he stacked up against his peers, and found a percentile calculator on a website called pediatrics.com, I believe (there's one on Babycenter, too). I plugged his numbers in, and as it turns out, our big boy is in the 92nd percentile for height, and the 80th for head size. I want to know what he weighs!! We don't have a scale, or I'd weigh him myself. He has his 2 month physical next Wednesday, so we'll find out then. One thing that's for sure, though, is that Orren is a big boy!! Certainly, he had one hell of a start in this world, being born 9 pounds and 9 ounces, but I still can't believe he's taken off so fast.

Of course, all this measuring made big sis want in on the fun, so I measured her, too. She is 41 inches tall without her shoes. Her age is 5 years and 7 months, and her height puts her squarely in the 4th percentile.

My girl is tiny and my boy is huge. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes before he's taller than she is!! Erin insists it'll never happen, but my bet is that by the time Orren hits middle school, he'll be taller than Erin. We'll see!!

No comments: