Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Our exhausting new schedule

Thak began school this week. The schedule is no different than what we were told, but oh man, it's exhausting. The days are so long it feels like they never end. Well, that's for me. For him it goes by really fast because he's always running. Me, I'm always running, but I'm doing so with a 20 pound 4-month-old who always wants to be held, and a destructive almost-six-year-old constantly at my heels. I'll just be really glad when school is out for the summer so that we can kind of rework our schedule. Of course, we'll still be doing this around cheerleading practice and whatever else we get Erin into for the summer. Right now, it's just cheerleading, though.

Erin had a sort of rough adjustment to not seeing daddy but a few minutes a day, and that manifested itself the way it always does, in her attitude. Today, she seems to be getting a little better, though. Thak took the few minutes he had with her yesterday to tell her in no uncertain terms that mommy tells daddy everything she does, and if she isn't good, then daddy will be mad. She said, "I don't want you to be mad at me, daddy." and has been much better ever since. I even got her to school without one tear this morning. That's a rarity.

Yeah, it feels like this week has been going on for years. There's just so much to do, and with no breaks because Thak is only home long enough to eat, change uniforms, and go, so by the time the kids go to bed, I'm so tired I just flop on the couch and watch whatever's on, only not today because I screwed up the TV. I have had cable for like three years now, and I still don't get it... Maybe Thak will have time to fix the TV when he's home for lunch. It won't hurt to ask.

But yeah, I better get going. I may be exhausted, but the giant stack of diapers in the corner of the living room is not going to fold itself and magically jump onto the shelf they go on, and Thak's school shirts need ironing, and we're running low on bread, so I need to get some dough rising before too long. Funny thing is, as hard as this schedule is, I don't mind it. It's for something. We have to do this so we can survive in the private sector. It has a purpose, and so I don't mind it. I think I now know how wives who support the Iraq war feel about deployments. Haha!

No comments: