Thursday, May 21, 2009

We need rain like, well, the desert needs rain...

This morning, I woke up to a sound I haven't heard in months, not since a while before we left Georgia. Rain was coming down!! It wasn't a lot. Anyone in anything other than a desert would call it a sprinkle or a drizzle, but for someone who hasn't seen rain in months, it was very nice. Thak would differ with me on that. He was doing a road march this morning. Rain and full combat gear do not mix, and I don't care who you are or how long it's been since you last saw rain. Still, it was nice aside from that.

It's cooler today than it has been. We're not even supposed to reach 90 today, far less the 100+ temperatures we have been seeing daily. The clouds just keep rolling our way over the mountains. I don't know how much more rain we're going to see, but the sun is not as intense today as it usually is, which is nice.

From what we're told by a few NCO's who grew up here and are now stationed here, June is the start of the rainy season. Being that we're approaching that now, I'd say this is only the precursor of what's to come. It works for me. Things get so dusty when we go for months on end without so much as a drop of rain.

No comments: