Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sick boy

Yesterday, Orren wasn't himself. Even my friend noticed it when we went to the park that afternoon. Orren was just laying in his stroller, not interacting with anyone, and just staring out into space. That's not like him. He's usually talking to everyone, giving big smiles, and being his charming self. Not yesterday, though.

Thak had been called into the office for an impromptu Staff Duty shift because another NCO in his platoon had left on Emergency Leave, and they needed Thak to cover down for him, so Thak got put on the desk for 24 hours on about 5 minutes' notice. Because of that, it was a hectic day, and I didn't think much of Orren's lethargic mood.

Then at about 6 pm, I fed him his dinner, and it came right back up. He'd been eating fine for the rest of the day, but after that, he just couldn't keep anything down. Before I put him to bed, I gave him 2 ounces of water, just so he wouldn't get too dehydrated, and he did keep that down. He woke up again at 2 am, hungry, and I gave him 2 ounces of formula, which he kept down, but he wasn't satisfied. He wanted more. Half an hour later, he was inconsolable because he was so hungry, so I made him another 2 ounce bottle, and he did not keep that down. This went on for the rest of the night. I lost count of how many times I got puked on. Remember, Thak was on Staff Duty, so this was all mine. He couldn't help because he wasn't here. It's Murphy's Law of the Army, I think.

So this morning, Orren was a lot more like his usual happy self. He was talking, and rolling around, and playing with the cat, and just acting like himself again. I gave him a little bit of rice cereal for breakfast, and he kept that down. He wasn't satisfied with it, though, so I made him a 2 ounce bottle, and he didn't keep that down. He was so hungry even after he threw up that he wanted to finish the bottle, so I let him. He kept down the remaining ounce or so. Just half an hour ago, I gave him 2 ounces of water, and he's kept that down so far. (He's sleeping despite still being really hungry. I'm not giving him anything else for another hour or so.)

It just sucks because he has the same enormous appetite he always does, but he just CAN'T eat that much right now. Hopefully by tonight, he'll be able to eat normally again. If not, we may take him into his pediatrician on Monday.

No comments: