Sunday, September 18, 2011

Christmas

I read on a large family blog once, that one format for Christmas gifts is that each child gets "something they want, something they need, something to wear, and something to read" plus stocking stuff. I think that is a good thing to do for this year, just in case a new job doesn't come through by Christmas, and especially since Orren's birthday is also on Christmas (although if we're still in El Paso, we'll be throwing him a party a couple weeks before his actual birthday). So I've been thinking about the things to get for the kids.

I know that I want to make them all Vikings tie fleece blankets. (They're easy to make. You just get two kinds of fleece, place back to back with the pretty sides out, and then fringe it around the edges and knot it together. They're really cute comfy blankets.) So that can be their "something they need". Erin's "something to wear" came in the mail today, a skirt I had made for her before the shit hit the fan financially. I know what Orren's "something to read" is. I want to get him a copy of The Araboolies of Liberty Street. I know that the stocking stuff for all will be art supplies, socks, and undies (or in Chai's case, an awesome pirate diaper that we won in a drawing, and is on its way to us currently). Art supplies are a big one. Now that we're po', it seems all we do is art!! We paint everything we can get our hands on, junk mail becomes origami, you name it. Amazing what having no television will do for you.

So anyhow, this is what I'm thinking of for them all:

Erin:

Something she wants: A pretty silver necklace kind of like this.
Something she needs: Tie fleece blanket
Something to wear: Skirt (and other stuff to complete outfit) *we already have this
Something to read: Whatever seems her style at the time.

Orren:

Something he wants: Scooter (the 3-wheel kind)
Something he needs: Tie fleece blanket
Something to wear: a new football jersey (he's been asking for one)
Something to read: The Araboolies of Liberty Street *will buy with swagbucks points

Chaiyo:

Something he wants: Sophie the Giraffe teether
Something he needs: Tie fleece blanket
Something to wear: Some warm outfits
Something to read: Any of the "touch and feel" books, other than kitten and tractor, since we already have those.

Then like I said, stockings will consist of art supplies, socks, and undies, and a pirate diaper for Chai, which we already have coming to us.

Orren's birthday:

Easel
Soccer ball
Tonka truck
Clothes

I am about to cash in some swagbucks points for Amazon gift cards, probably enough for at least one of the books. I sold a bunch of outgrown baby clothes, so I've got a ton in paypal right now, so I can get stuff off Etsy and Ebay, and possibly order the fabric for the tie fleece blankets. Yes, I know, it's September and I'm planning for Christmas. We want to be sure they get one! This is how we'll do that.

No comments: