Tuesday, April 3, 2012

That isn't helping.

Dear friends,

I know you think you're really funny (and most of you actually are sometimes), and I think it's pretty obvious that since most of you are military and have no idea what to say to me, having pretty much lost everything I was lead to believe I could count on for the past 8 years of my life. However, comments like the following are not helping.

"Sell it all and make some money!" Really? How about you put the last 8 years of your life on eBay and are how much you like it. No? Didn't think so. Not to mention, we're not talking about worthless crap that we just need to get over it and haul to goodwill. There was a life here, a good one, and selling all remnants of it for pennies on the dollar is not something we want to do.

"Have a giant bonfire! I'll bring weed!" While I appreciate the offer of herbal refreshment, however facetious, this is pretty much the same as above. Why don't you burn the last 8 years of your life and see how much you like it.

"Rent a storage unit!" Thank you, Captain Obvious. The reason we haven't done this yet is because it pretty much defeats the purpose. For what we would pay, plus our rent here, we could have gotten a place that was actually big enough for us. That's just depressing.

"Put it at your parents' house!!" Who are you people related to who has just tons of open space you can shove ten tons of stuff in? Seriously, when would it ever be that simple. Not to mention, it'll be lovely about the time Thak needs to fix something that requires some specialty tool that's four hours away in Florida.

In the end, we do have to figure out what to do with all our stuff, and it'll probably be a combination of things. Trust me when I say, anything you are about to suggest to me, I've thought of it, so just don't. I get that people don't know what to say. How about, "That's really hard." or "You'll figure something out before long." or something like that. Anyone who has known me for more than five minutes knows that I hate unsolicited advice, yet every time I open my mouth lately, that's all I get. I don't appreciate it, and that's why I have really kept quiet about most of the hard times I have been through over the past year. Unless you had a really good life that you completely lost basically over night due to somebody else's choice, you have NO idea what this past year has been like for me, so the flood of shitty advice really needs to stop.

No comments: