Thursday, June 4, 2009

The desert, without air conditioning

As everyone knows already, out here, we have swamp coolers instead of refrigerated air like the rest of the country. What I never knew about swamp coolers is that they just plain don't work. Well, ours doesn't anyhow.

This thing has worked, as in actually functioned as intended, for one day out of the entire summer. Mind you, on the days we don't hit 100 degrees, we only miss it by one or two. It's hot out here. If our swamp cooler isn't blowing hot air, then it's got a bad line and making it rain through the light fixture in Erin's bathroom.

Swamp coolers are fabulous. The summer in El Paso with no air conditioning is extra fabulous. And if anyone dares say to me, "at least it's a dry heat" I will hunt you down! Come here, feel yourself roast in this desert sun, and then tell me it's cooler or more manageable than any humid place you've ever been.

Tomorrow, they're supposed to come out and look at our swamp cooler again. I don't hold out much hope that they'll fix it this time, but maybe I will be surprised.

No comments: