Monday, June 21, 2010

It's worth little, I suppose.

This one girl I know from here asked me about turning her toddler back to rear-facing. I thought it was awesome that she wants to do it! The wrinkle? She has the same seat for that little bitty kid, as Erin has in the truck. (OK, in fairness, that seat does adjust down small, but I still always think of it as a big kid seat because most of the time, that's what it's used for.) That seat does not rear-face, so she needs a new seat in order to do this.

New car seats can be either really cheap or really expensive, and of course anything else in between. While I love expensive baby gear, and take a little bit of pride in the fact that we think nothing of buying a $300 car seat if it's the best one on the market (and it is!), there are many seats you can get for under $200 which would do the job, and one of the highly recommended ones went on sale this week for under $100. I let this person know about it, and she told me that her husband didn't want to try their youngest rear-facing again because he thinks it's impractical to go from FF to RF, and won't be feasible.

I just think that's crazy. This man knows that it's 5x safer, has seen all the crash test videos, read all the statistics, and it's not worth the money to him. It's not like they're tight on money. This is a military family, and he is close in rank to Thak. They can afford this without even thinking about it. When I told Thak about this, he said to me, "Well, I'm just glad I can't put my kids' lives' worth into a dollar figure. It seems to be common with dads. If it costs, it's not worth it. I'm glad to be smarter than that." Well, Thak, I'm glad you see things this way, too. I would have a serious bone to pick if I found out something relatively inexpensive that would keep our kids drastically safer, and he took one look at the price tag, and said "Nah. I don't think so."

No comments: