Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chicken

I'm so glad I got my ID Card back so that I could go to the commissary and get our food for this pay period. It's like the best of both worlds. I get to shop at the commissary, but Thak's paydays don't coincide with Army paydays, so I'm there on the least crowded days. Anyhow, one of the reasons I was so glad to get back to the commissary was because of the chicken. It's such better quality than the stuff off post, and cheaper, too!

Yesterday I bought a whole chicken, hormone-free, cage-free, for $1 a pound, stuffed it with some herbs from my garden, and roasted it. We ate our fill of roasted chicken for dinner last night. Then today, I picked all the rest of the meat off it, which added up to twice as much meat as there was on the other kind of chickens I was getting, so it may do two casseroles. Then I boiled the bones to make broth. I got six bags of broth! That will do six meals! When you consider that we would be paying at least $2 a container for chicken broth, and would use a container at each meal that required it, we saved $12 just by making broth in the first place. Considering the chicken cost about $6, we pretty much doubled our money on that deal.

Yes, I am impressed.

No comments: