Wednesday, June 27, 2012

PTSD Awareness Day was yesterday.  Yes, I'm a day late with this.  It's my way of being different.  OK, so it's really just my way of being too busy all day to do it, and now it's 1 am, Thak is watching Starship Troopers, and I have a little time before we go to bed.

I tried to write a whole post about this thing, but no matter how many times I tried, it didn't do it justice, so I'll just say this:

I love a veteran whom the enemy harmed, and although his deepest scars are invisible, they're still real.  It hasn't always been an easy road, and it hasn't always been terribly difficult, but it's always worth it.  He has shown me what courage is, not only by going to war as many times as he did, but by realizing when something wasn't right, and finding help for himself when he got home.  He isn't always stoic, and I'm not always as strong as a lot of people think I am, but somehow, most of the time, we do just fine.  There have been dark times. There have been negotiations, restructuring, rebuilding, and hard work.  There have also been victories, and good times.  Things aren't like they were before, and they never will be.  I'm here, though, because I want to be, for one simple reason.  He's worth every bit, and then some. True story.

No comments: