Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Fashion tips, football babe style.

OK, with football season fast approaching, everyone's getting their stuff together, getting geared up for the pre-season, and most of all, the Vikings "Sweet Revenge" grudge match with the Saints in just a month's time. OK, so the latter part is just me as far as my group of friends goes. Anyhow, I definitely understand a bit of NFL Fever this time of year, because I've got it myself. I'll admit, ever since Thak bought me my me-sized Jared Allen (#69) jersey, I've been trying to figure out what to pair it with so I'll look hot on game day, showing my Viking pride!!

Not so coincidentally, Victoria's Secret has announced the teams whose colors will appear in their NFL collection, which will be part of the Pink line. The Victoria's Secret Pink line, in case you didn't know, was released about the time I graduated high school, and is a low-priced line of casual wear and some under-things, which is intended for university students. I LOVED Pink when I was that age. LOVED IT. For one, I could afford it. For another, they had really cute stuff that didn't just scream "TRYING TOO HARD!!" when worn by an 18-year-old, and was comfy to wear to late night study groups and early morning lectures.

OK, so now that we've got that out of the way, I must tell about a big pet peeve of mine. It seems that the 250 pound, pushing 30 years old, mommy of 4 kids, crowd has glommed onto the Pink line for years, and is now flipping out over the new NFL collection. Is it that they don't own mirrors? First of all, what in that line would even fit them? Secondly, nobody over the age of 25 (and that's being generous!) should EVER wear that stuff. I get wanting to be cute for football season, but wearing age-inappropriate clothing that doesn't fit you and would never look good on your body style, is not the way to go.

As a 28-year-old mom of two, I find that a lovely age-appropriate football babe look includes a women's cut NFL jersey, skinny jeans, and Converse. If you're skinny like me, the trick is in layering with a white shirt appropriate for the weather (and let's face it, those jerseys are full of holes anyhow, so you want to wear something under it) and pairing the whole thing with an excellent push-up bra. If you're not skinny, then you probably still want to layer, but can probably just do a cami if you want. I'd say for people who are not thin, it's important to get a longer jersey, should you decide to wear one. I find that the licensed NFL women's jerseys from Fans Edge run very true to size. I've got a Small, and it fits somewhat loose on me (5'6", 114 pounds, 32A). If you want one that's not as close fitted like the women's ones, there's always the option to get a kids' one or a mens' one, and pair it with some black leggings or skinny jeans, like an 80's kid... after all, all of us who are in our late 20's these days ARE 80's kids! Plus, if you don't have much of a waist, a kids' or men's jersey will definitely fit better than a women's one anyhow. (This is one time when it's good to be honest with yourself... hell, anytime clothes are involved is.) Of course, an excellent pair of shoes is important, too. I like Converse with this outfit, and they're definitely popular these days, but if they're not your thing, a pair of flats in your team's colors would look outstanding!

Of course, a lot of people forgo the jerseys. Hell, I did until like a week ago. In fact, if you're not the type to wear skinny jeans or leggings, you SHOULD skip the jersey. If you want to wear bootcut or flare jeans, they look amazing with a tank top for those early season games, or with a very fitted long sleeved t-shirt for the playoffs. I find tons of this stuff on vikings.com, and I know that every team has it available. For me, once again, it's in contrast. If I'm wearing a pair of super low bootcut jeans, with my clingy purple game day sweater, I will not be without an adorable belt, and an awesome pair of stilettos. To take this outfit from "I pulled something off the floor" to "football babe" is all in accessorizing! Headbands are back in style. One in the lesser of the team's colors (for example, yellow for me since I'm a Vikings fan, yellow also for you wretched Packers fans, white for the Colts, orange for the Bears, etc.), and follow the headband instructions that come with your Bump It's, will top off a casual football look super nicely. Don't forget the earrings either. They don't have to be fancy. I just wear a pair of silver hoops I got at Macy's for like $20. It just adds a nice touch.

I think it comes down to a few things:

1) Dress for your body style. If you're an A-cup like me, nothing that's going to show off your lack of cleavage is going to do you any favors. If you're not as thin as you once were, buy new clothes because the old ones aren't going to look good.

2) Be age-appropriate. If you're over the age of 25, for the love of all that is sacred and holy, I do not need to see anything written across your ass, nor the word "Pink" anywhere on you.

3) Contrast. No tight tops with skinny jeans because that screams "trying too hard!!!" and looks stupid. No jerseys with loose jeans, because you'll look like a dude. Tight tops with bootcut jeans, and skinny jeans with jerseys, are both totally ace combinations. Don't forget to accessorize. I promise they won't ban you from tapping the keg and doing your good luck endzone dance, just because you're wearing earrings. You'll just look better doing it.




OK, but above all else, having reason to post this can only be a good thing because it means that.......

IT'S ALMOST TIME FOR FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Skol Vikings!!

No comments: