Sunday, August 22, 2010

I'm doing Scenic Sunday!

OK, so there's this site called "I'm Doing El Paso". It's got listings of basically everything that's going on around town. There are like a million things to do at any given time in a city this big, of course, and whoever runs this site has their finger on the pulse of it for sure. They don't just talk about the various happy hours, or nighttime concerts, or film festivals. Those wouldn't interest me much since I couldn't really take the kids. They list everything, some of which is totally family-friendly, like Jazz at the Canyon, Shakespeare in the Park, the Downtown Projection Walk (during which people follow the images of famous artwork projected on the sides of buildings), and most recently, Scenic Sunday.

What is Scenic Sunday? It's when they close down Scenic Drive (the road that goes up the mountain and has the overlook of the city, Murchison Park and all that) to traffic, and open it up to pedestrians, cyclists, and skaters. It's every Sunday from 6-11 am in the spring and summer, and 7-noon in the fall and winter. It sounds great. I'm going next week. I didn't hear about it in time to go this week.

Now, here's my issue. I will be doing this by myself. There is no way Thak will make it up Scenic Drive with his knees the way they are. I also know that the kids will want to go, and that it would be fun for them. The issue is that I have one jogging stroller, and it's a single. There is no way Erin will be able to do this walk, and I'll end up having to leave early, totally pissed off from her whining, so she's going to have to ride at least part-time. Here are the options I can see so far.

1) Two kids, one seat. Put Orren on Erin's lap, put the stroller's lap belt over both of them, and go.

2) Erin in the stroller, Orren in the Kelty backpack.

3) Orren in the stroller, Erin walking (and whining).

4) Only take one kid, and make Thak watch the other.


Luckily, I have all week to figure it out.

No comments: