Monday, August 16, 2010

You get what you pay for.

This list is amazing. I learned of it through Sunshine Kids, the company that makes Radian and Monterey carseats, the kind Erin and Orren ride in most of the time. Theirs consistently had the lowest toxicity of any brand on the market, some models had a barely detectable level, some models absolutely none detectable. They said it is always a priority to make their seats as non-toxic as possible. I believe it. You don't get your toxicity levels that low on something made primarily of plastic, without making an effort to that end.

It was kind of sad to go through that list, though. I saw all my friends' kids' seats, and they were all so unbelievably toxic, some of the worst ratings there were. I guess that's what happens when a company tries to shove ten pounds of features into a five pound sack, and sell it at bargain prices. It ends up being made of nuclear waste. OK, no seat is really made of nuclear waste, but they are made of some pretty noxious stuff that no thinking parent should ever want their kids anywhere near. Furthermore, with asthma becoming so much more common every year, it's kind of important to avoid breathable toxins in particular, especially for babies. I wonder if this type of thing is partially to blame for the rise in asthma, actually. I mean, 30 years ago, few people even used carseats, and when they did, they didn't use them for long, and basically nobody had asthma. Now, everyone uses carseats, and they're required by law to use them for 6-8 years (depending on state), and now every other kid you see has asthma. It seems just a little TOO coincidental to me.

I'm glad we primarily use Sunshine Kids seats, and after seeing that list, I can safely say, I will NEVER own another Britax (just as toxic as the cheap ones, but the price of the good ones!) I also feel far more justified in the feeling I had toward cheap carseats all along. I'm so glad I never caved to peer pressure, and cheaped out on my kids when it counted. I didn't even know at the time that by doing that, I'd be exposing them to so many harsh toxins, but I'm glad to know we don't have to worry about that with our set-up.

No comments: