Tuesday, August 31, 2010

It lives!!

I just found out that the NCO Wives Club has been reactivated!! It's the only remaining one in the entire Army. I'm so glad to see this. I have never had any desire to be any part of a spouses' club because there were only two options, Officer and Enlisted. Obviously, I was not eligible to participate in the Officer Spouses' Club. It looked like a lot of fun, though. They had socials, and galas, and craft bazaars... They even had their own facility! The Enlisted Spouses' Club, which I could have joined, was just not the same thing. They really seemed to cater to the lower-enlisted spouses. They did things like budgeting workshops, classes on Army benefits, and other boring stuff that is decidedly not social or fun. They didn't have their own facility, and usually met in places that were kind of... yuck. Needless to say, I wanted no part of that.

When we came here, I had read in a now discontinued publication for NCO wives that there used to be an NCO Wives' Club on this post. It was the first one in the Army, and although there had been others founded later on other posts, this post's was the original. Of course, as political correctness took over, the rank-based wives' clubs were eliminated. The NCO Wives' Clubs were the first to go, and the one on this post was not active by the time I got here. The building was dilapidated, and the website practically had cobwebs on it. This wasn't surprising, of course. Even now, many posts across the Army are eliminating all rank-based clubs in favor of one "United Club", although some still hang onto separate clubs for Officer and Enlisted spouses. I figured one of those things was what was happening here, and put it out of my mind.

Today, all that changed! I got word from a fellow NCO wife that the club is reactivated. The building, which still belongs to the club, is being renovated so it can be used as such, but there will be meetings in a temporary location, and there is even a full calendar of events in the works for this fall!!! I'm thrilled. I'll be at the next meeting (which, I think, is actually the first meeting since reactivation), dues in hand. I never thought I would join a wives club, but this is different. I love traditional Army, and this is about as traditional Army as it gets. I'm so glad it happened while I'm still here, and still eligible. I have to be a part of the Army's last remaining NCO Wives' Club, even if only to say I was!

Mrs. SSG M approves BIG TIME.

No comments: