Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Yay for ballet!

Erin is now registered for ballet classes! She starts on Friday! We're totally excited, and tomorrow, we'll probably go shopping for all kinds of fun accessories. She already has one leotard, tights, and skirt, but she should probably have a few, and she needs different shoes, so we'll have to get a few things, but not too much. It'll be fun.

Tomorrow afternoon, we've also got her orientation for school, and there, we'll find out about her violin lessons. Oh yeah, didn't I tell you? Erin decided to take violin since her school offers it. Right now, we're debating whether to rent or buy her violin. I'm leaning toward rent for one semester, and if she wants to continue after that, then buy. Thak wants to buy right away. I guess we'll see.

Having kids who are in lots of activities can be expensive! It's ok, though. We were never under the impression that parenting was cheap.

There is one thing I've been surprised by. I recently polled my friends, and found that out of all our kids who are school age, Erin is the only one who's in any extracurricular activities. I was mostly just trying to find out how many was too many, because she had wanted to do violin, ballet, and cheerleading. I was iffy on three activities for a kid her age, so I asked my friends, just to see if anyone had been in that situation before, and what their experience was with it. That's when I found out that we're the only ones who have our kid in anything. Then we found out that there is no fall cheerleading this year, so the decision was made for us, which I think is fine. Two activities is no too many for her, especially since one is offered through the school, and doesn't require any additional pick-up and drop-off time from us. She just stays after school for violin lessons on the days they're offered, so really, ballet is the only activity she has right now that requires an extra commute to and from.

I'm glad she's old enough to do this stuff now, though. It's cool. I like that she's able to explore her interests, and see what she gets into. I'm REALLY looking forward to her first ballet recital! It's not until May, but we're still looking forward to it. You should see the costumes from past recitals of this dance school. They're gorgeous! They always have the recital at the University, and the auditorium it's held in is beautiful. I can't wait until it's Erin's turn!!!!

No comments: