Thursday, September 23, 2010

Erin is the coolest girl I know.

On the way home from school today, Erin told me about her new friend at school. She said, "Mommy, you remember that show we watched about the people who twitch and can't help it?" (There was a documentary on Discovery Health the other day which showed people with Tourette's Syndrome) and I said, "You mean people with Tourette's Syndrome?" and she said, "Yes. That's what I meant. Well [friend] has that, too!" Then she went on to explain how she helps him stay calm because when he's calm, he doesn't twitch as much, and things are easier for him.

Seriously, we hear so much about schoolyard bullies (Erin even had to deal with that kind of thing when she was in public school here!), mean girls, and kids who ostracize those who are different. Then we've got my kid. She loves everybody, and is a real friend to all people who will allow her to be. She doesn't see anybody's gender, race, ability/disability/differences, or anything like that. Every kid she meets is one more friend as far as she's concerned.

I seriously can say Erin is the coolest girl I have ever met. I may never be able to say that my kid is at the top of the class academically, but I can say with the utmost certainty that my kid is one of the kindest. I hope I always can say that.

No comments: