Monday, July 23, 2012

Pertussis is on the rise, and we aren't vaccinating. Why is that?

First things first, read this. I can hardly view any social networking site I know of these days without reading a thousand posts from people I know, people I don't know, and people I sort of know, about the current pertussis outbreak. The point of these posts is always the same, though. In a panicked tone, they plead with parents, "GET YOUR KIDS VACCINATED!!!!!!" I have no plans to get any more of my kids vaccinated for this, or nearly anything else, and while my reasons for that will not strike you as crazy as you may think, providing that you possess some moderate level of deductive reasoning. First of all, while pharma would like you to believe that the outbreak is because of increasing numbers of unvaccinated kids, most of the cases are in people who have been vaccinated fully. If vaccines do what we're told they do, then why are more vaccinated than unvaccinated people getting pertussis? Because vaccines do not do what we're told they do. They are nowhere near as effective as people think, and I think on some level, the average American parent knows that. I've had people say their kids couldn't play with mine because of our vaccination practices. I always ask them, "Even if my kids had some vaccine preventable disease, wouldn't your kids be protected if they're vaccinated?" It's an honest question, and it usually gets me told off. I think people know that vaccinations aren't as effective as we are lead to believe. The other thing is, it is highly suspected that the bacteria that causes pertussis is evolving to a new strain not covered by the vaccine. If that's the case, and t could well be, then what would be the point of vaccinating for the old strain that doesn't seem to be causing the problems we're seeing lately. I'm not telling anyone to stop vaccinating, or to alter their practices in any way. All I'm saying is, before you buy into mass hysteria, think about whether it's even an accurate statement you're making.

No comments: