Monday, May 24, 2010

Charter schools? OK.

I wish someone had told me about this months ago. Apparently El Paso has charter schools. I had no idea. I searched for them repeatedly, but didn't find anything. I have somewhat of a connection (a surprising one to anyone who knows me) with a new charter school, but I don't know if that's going to be enough to get us in. I'm cool with that, though. I'm done fighting Ysleta ISD. I'm NEVER setting foot in one of their slummy piece of crap institutions again as long as I live.

The only wrinkle is that we'll probably get wait-listed since we've missed the first registration lottery by a couple months. The good news is that they continue taking applications throughout the summer. I will take ANY school they're willing to place her in at this point. I don't care if it's on the other side of the mountain and we commute 40 minutes each way. The gas is still cheaper than private school tuition, not like there are any private schools within half an hour of our house either. Anyhow, I digress. We may end up homeschooling for a little longer than we'd planned, but I can totally manage that if we're wait-listed for a charter school. That will be nice. With luck, we'll get into the new one that's being built just 20 minutes away. I have a surprising connection there, so we'll see.

I'm downloading the forms now, and will probably go turn them in tomorrow. I've got to start on dinner now because Thak will be home in an hour. He's going to be thrilled about this. It's something. Honestly, all we need at this point is some hope, and before, we had none. Now we have some, and it makes things better. Yes, we're probably stuck with homeschooling for at least part of next year. Oh well. We'll do it. Erin is starting to make progress (not with reading, but that will come in time). As long as we can AT LEAST get on a wait list for ANY charter school, we will be thrilled.

Cross your fingers for us. I have a feeling this isn't going to be easy.

No comments: