Monday, May 3, 2010

You win some, and you lose some...

Today, we lost one. The photo contest given by SKJP, the makers of Radian, just announced the winners, none of which were us. I looked at who they were, and I think we lost because Orren was older than what they were looking for. All the winners looked about 6-9 months old. Oh well. We already have a car seat.... tons of them, including one brand new Radian XTSL. Hopfully the people who won have more need for another car seat than we do.

I was really happy to see that none of the spammers won. Honestly, that would have been the only outcome that would have disappointed me at all. If the Spammy McSpammertons won, then I think it would set a real pain in the ass type of precedent for all future contests. I'm really glad they didn't go that route. They also didn't reward the people who were impatiently nagging them via comments to post the results. None of those people won. I don't know if their conduct played a part (for some, I'm sure it didn't, because their kids were older than Orren, and just not what they were looking for this time) but I'm still glad that SKJP didn't reinforce poor conduct by rewarding those who engage in it. The most pictures any of the winners entered was 5, another had 2, and the final winner had only one photo. I thought it was a great decision to not reward anyone who entered 30-40 (nearly identical) photos of the same kid, and basically bogged down the whole process.

I'm really happy for everyone who won, though. Radians are awesome seats, and to get something so useful and so expensive for absolutely free is something that's just beyond outstanding, once in a lifetime, and awesome in every single way. Congrats to the winners, even though it wasn't us! ;-)

(Later this week, we find out if we're finalists in the other photo contest we entered! I hope we are! That one is for the double stroller I want, and it's decided by popular vote, so I WILL be doing some campaigning!)

Oh, but as a note to other individuals:

Photo editing is not a crime. I do it, I admit to it, and I'm not ashamed of it. Your photos aren't better than mine because they're unedited. All it means is that you have a lot of junk in the background, which I would have cropped out, your kid has red eyes and mine doesn't, and sometimes your lighting is bad, whereas I would have fixed it. It's not cheating, and it doesn't negate anything about my pictures. Thank you.

No comments: