Sunday, March 13, 2011

Moving progress....

There were three giant bugaboos of this move:

1) Glass contractor
2) Erin's room
3) Playroom

As of today, I've got two out of the three done. All that remains of these three is Erin's room. I'll probably pack it up tomorrow just to get it out of the way. I'd say, over all, I've got close to half of our stuff packed up and ready to go. I'm going to need more boxes, but there's the post recycling center for that. They did not disappoint last time, and I'm sure they won't when we go again!

After I get everything packed up, I have to somehow magically make a 30-something-year-old house look brand new. My new big three are these:

1) Oven and broiler
2) Walls
3) Grout

Not bad.


We're also thinking about what we need to do for the new house, and it's a lot of work, but quite good. I'm trying to choose out rocks for the front yard this week, and have it narrowed down to two varieties. I'll post pics when I go to the rock yard and look at them. I'm taking a friend with me who used to sell rocks, so she'll be able to tell me if it's a good deal or not.

In the back yard, we're going to seed most of it in grass (our backyard is tiny. It's doable to keep it watered.) and make raised beds for vegetables in the rest of it. Raised beds are really the only way to grow anything here, so we'll go ahead and get that done right from the start so that we can go ahead and seed in the rest.

There is a lot to do and the next couple weeks are going to go by fast. I didn't count on much help from Thak, and I was right. He has a friend's car in for a very big repair job (read: lots of work, no money, house full of people) and who knows how long this thing is going to take. It needs to be done, though. You can't really NOT help friends when you're in a position to. But, knowing that I would be doing most of this on my own from the start worked in my favor because I've gotten a major jump on it, and will get everything done.

That reminds me, I've got to find a carpet cleaning service and also try out some DIY grout cleaning solutions tomorrow to figure out if I'm going to do that job myself or contract it.

No comments: