Saturday, March 12, 2011

Newborn diapering. What?

Will you look at that? Is that not the most adorable thing you have ever seen in your entire life? That's Orren, just a couple hours old, wearing his adorable fluffy newborn diaper. It's a Kissaluvs size 0 fitted, and as you can see, due to being born a perfectly chunky 9 pounds 9 ounces, he's got it on the last snap setting. If not for the cord dip in these things, they'd have been a complete bust for us. My newborn diapering conundrum was that everything with a cord dip went only to 10 pounds, and Orren was born pretty close to that, actually was over 10 pounds by the time his cord stump fell off, and right about 15 pounds by the time we had his umbilical granuloma removed at his 2 month appointment, so I had the opposite problem a lot of people have. The diapers that were big enough for my boy didn't have a cord dip, and the ones that had a cord dip would have fit his big toe, but that's about it.

A friend who's expecting her first, and currently amassing her cloth diaper stash for him is asking me all these questions about newborn diapering, and I realized today that I actually don't know anything about newborn diapering as it pertains to most people!

I have no idea how to get a hospital to let you use cloth diapers. (Can they really tell you what your baby can wear? If I were somewhere and the people there told me what I could and couldn't do with my baby, I would leave.)

I don't know what to do with cloth diapering and circumcision gunk. For the millionth time, people, yes, I have a boy. No, I did not have him circumcised. Look at that picture at the top of the page and tell me if you could ever bear to needlessly cut a piece off that perfect, beautiful, innocent little boy. In the words of celebrity intactivist Colin Farrell, "I completely fucking disagree with that!" So yeah, you're on your own for this one.

I don't know what fits skinny newborn legs. Look at Orren's thunder thighs! He may not have remarkably chunky thighs now, but he did when he was born.

I don't know what adjusts down the smallest, for obvious reasons.



So basically, my thing is that I BETTER have another chunky baby, because if I don't, I'm going to be just as lost as any rookie when it comes to diapering this one!

No comments: