Thursday, October 6, 2011

AP (playgroup!) is the way for me.

Earlier this week, the boys and I went to pick up something from another mom in the local Attachment Parenting (AP) group. While we were over at her place, she invited us to the AP playgroup, which happens to be today! Of course, I said we'd love to come.

I'm so excited about going. For one thing, a playgroup will be such a good thing for the boys. It'll be really nice for them to be around other little kids, and sort of be able to make friends, and learn how to interact in a group, and all that. For another, I will feel comfortable with it in the context of other AP families. The reason I have shied away from mainstream playgroups is that I always end up butting heads with the other moms, and we're just not on the same page. I always end up sitting there holding my tongue as they encourage one another to let their children "cry it out", or discuss other parenting methods that I really don't agree with, and I leave feeling frustrated and angry that they treat babies the way they do. With other AP moms, it's better. Nobody will give me a hard time for cosleeping, and won't look at me funny when I nurse Chai, and won't make rude comments or give me dirty looks because Orren is shy, and will probably hide behind me the whole time. Of course, the conversation tends to be about stuff I like, too.

So yeah, we're going to AP playgroup in an hour! I'm excited! I hope Orren does well. I'm not banking on him having any actual interaction with anyone today, but maybe bu next week or the week after. It'll be good for him no matter what happens today.

No comments: