Sunday, October 3, 2010

Today is NOT my birthday.

I know it says that it is, but this year, I am moving it to the 10th. Yeah, that's right. I'm piggybacking on Brett Favre's birthday, but honestly, the formerly great QB has absolutely nothing to do with this decision, nor does the fact that the date of that day is 10-10-10, as a friend pointed out to me (although that's a pretty cool coincidence!)

The reason I've moved my birthday this year is because, frankly, what the Army has dished out to us for the past 8 birthdays, just isn't funny anymore... or really even tolerable. Thak has been gone for 7 out of the 8 birthdays of mine that we have been together for. If he hasn't been deployed, he's been in the field, working 24 hour flight ops, or babysitting some soldier who lost his mind. This is birthday #7 that he's gone for. He's in the field this time, for absolutely no reason. The unit has no equipment and no mission, and he's technically on Rear Detachment again, but a micromanaging Colonel made them go out to some old National Guard barracks this time instead of actually staying back like they have every other time, so it's essentially an exercise in, "Hey, just in case you forgot, we still own you." It's crap, and we're just done playing these people's game. We're so over it, so done with it.

That's why today is not my birthday. I refuse to celebrate or acknowledge another one alone. Five in as many years was asinine, six was stupid, seven is intolerable. So today is not my birthday. I am celebrating on the 10th. Thak has a 4-day weekend then, and hopefully the Army won't screw us out of that one... Plus, it being 10-10-10 and Brett Favre's birthday might prove to be a turning point in the Vikings' shitty luck this season, and frankly, I would like some good luck, too, so that's just one more reason.

No comments: