Saturday, October 30, 2010

Why I have cast off my due date.

I'm 10 weeks pregnant today. From there, you can probably figure out my due date. In fact, I may have mentioned it here before. I can't remember, though. Either way, though, when people ask when I'm due, I say "Sometime in May or June" because that's the truth. In my previous two pregnancies, it was a rigid due date. July 14, and December 14, in that order. Of course, my kids were born on July 29 and December 25. Due dates are for nothing. The window of opportunity for Orren to be born safely and out of hospital stretched from Thanksgiving almost to New Year's Eve. Now why would anyone ever pick one date within that big window to focus on? There is almost no chance the baby would ever be born on that day anyhow. I think I know exactly one person who's ever had a baby on the due date, and she was induced, so it doesn't even count.

This time, I am not focusing on one date because I've found that mentality to be absolutely useless, and a major source of stress, especially toward the end. I am having a baby in the summer of 2011, and that is what I say. I am less stressed already because I do not have to worry about being a hospital transfer for staying pregnant too long. This baby can stay as long as he or she needs to in order to get good and ready to come join us on the outside. No pressure. Alyson won't pressure me, and I won't pressure me either. Nor will I allow society and random people to pressure me by saying things like, "Haven't you had the baby yet?" or "Aren't they ever going to induce you?" like people said constantly the minute December 14 came and went, and I was still pregnant with Orren. No, this baby will come in his/her own time, just like the other two did. If that goes into the 43rd week like Erin, that's ok. If that goes into the 42nd week like Orren, that's ok. If this baby decides to be a lot different, and join us after 39 or 40 weeks, that's also totally fine with us. I don't know when the baby will be ready, so I am not assigning an end date. What's the use anyway? What's a due date ever done for anybody besides pressure them to go into labor in x-amount of time, or face the hospital, and a whole cart of nasty interventions?

My due date: Summer.

That's the truth.

No comments: