Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Baby Chai's popsicles.

Happy World Breastfeeding Week!! This not the first time I'm breastfeeding during this week, but it is the first time I'm succeeding at it. (This time 8 years ago, Erin was just days old, and I had just about come to the end of my rope with trying to nurse her.) Sooo... since this is actually my first GOOD World Breastfeeding Week, it's a good time to talk about breastfeeding!

Since Chai sleeps through the night, I pump at midnight every night so that my milk supply does not diminish. I wanted to store the milk so that if I have to leave Chai for an appointment or an errand, he won't automatically have to receive formula during that time, but I didn't want to use the milk storage bags because they're expensive, and the milk trays were also really expensive, so I did something else. I used a regular ice cube tray (the cubes are an ounce each) and then I doubled up a couple of ziplocs. Breastmilk storage bags are thicker than freezer bags, so I figured using two of the freezer bags would create the same effect. Plus, it's really easy now. You just take the number of cubes you need, defrost them in a bottle, and can get an exact amount for a feeding. Less possibility of wasting it.

This is the end result. This is about a week's worth of pumping at midnight and freezing, roughly 20 ounces of milk for Chai! I like the look of that!

No comments: