Monday, August 1, 2011

Hey, Tricare. Pay for my homebirth!

We got all the necessary documents from Alyson, and today I began my insurance claim with Tricare, to get them to reimburse us as much as possible for our homebirth. Now, most people will tell you this can't be done. I believe it can. The #1 reason I believe it can be done is because Alyson has had other clients accomplish it, and she knows how to do the documentation of the charges in such a way that Tricare understands it, and will pay on it. The #2 reason is because other insurance companies that claim they do not cover homebirth, have been persuaded to reimburse for it by much the same methods we are using with Tricare right now. Go us.

I made a copy of the billing documents to send. I filled out DD form 2642. I'm ready to send it all in, and see where it goes from there. Step 1: Accomplished. Let's see how this goes.

I'm going to post updates here on the process of getting reimbursement for our homebirth so that other military homebirth moms who stumble upon it (or whom I direct to it, because I get asked about this stuff a billion times a week), can look through and see how we did what we did and how it worked for us, so they have something to go off of when they file their own claims.

No comments: