Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Really, El Paso?

This city is such crap sometimes. It really is. I'm always reminded of it when well meaning friends who live somewhere far from here jovially tell me to look on Craigslist for whatever I'm wanting at that given moment. Yeah, I'm sure they always have that stuff on your city's Craigslist. You don't live in El Paso, though. I do, and El Paso's Craigslist sucks.

I was reminded of El Paso's suckish nature in another, somewhat related, way just yesterday. I called the kids' consignment shop to ask what they were taking in consignments right now, because I've got a ton of stuff I need to consign. I have all my maternity clothes, everything of the boys' up to size 6 months, and a few pieces of baby gear that I don't use. Everything's in awesome condition, so I don't want to just Goodwill it. I tried posting it on a site that's basically like a military craigslist, and that went horribly. (Some stupid bitch wanted me to sell almost brand new, name brand, 3-piece outfits for $1 each. Get lost! Oh, and everyone wanted to know if the maternity clothes were a size XL when the ad clearly stated that they're sizes Small and X-Small. Facepalm.) I'm afraid to have a yardsale here. So basically, I need to consign this stuff. It's the only way.

When I called the consignment shop, they told me that they weren't taking any consignments right now, and might be closing before the month is out. Really, El Paso? You can't even sustain a consignment shop? This city has so many low income families, one would think that consignment would be the most booming business around. After all, who can afford to pay new prices for all the clothes that the very large families so common in this city would need? One would think there would be a consignment shop on every corner! But no, they can't even sustain one, in a city this big. Nope, not one consignment can survive here, but there's a Fallas Peredes (the Latino version of Family Dollar) everywhere you look. What the hell is wrong with this picture? Yes, let's have a marked preference for crappily made new goods that will end up in the landfill within a year's time, versus excellent condition used goods of far better quality. It's so backward the way they do things here.

Come on, El Paso, get with the times! Consignment is the best!

No comments: