Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Here's your torch. We don't want it anymore.

Thak's brigade got official deployment orders today. I should feel bad since this will affect a lot of my friends, but I really don't. None have done multiple tours. Many have done none. It just seems rightful for them to do this now, and since we have done multiple tours, and the worst of the worst, if you really want to think about things in those terms, it just feels right that Thak's name does not appear on these orders.

A lot of people in this position talk about feeling guilty that their husband isn't going when so many other people's are. I don't, though. I hate that anyone ever has to go through a deployment, but these are fresh soldiers. If anyone has to deploy, it should be them. For once, it seems like Uncle Sam got something right in the rotation. It is right that we are moving on. It is right that they are deploying.

Will the outside be hard? Yes. We will be under great financial hardship for the first little while. If Thak stayed Active Duty, though, it would be tour #4. Nothing has ever been more obvious to me than the righteousness of our decision to move on now, and I think I will be just a little extra thankful when Thak comes home to me every night, with dirt and oil on his hands, in his BMW uniform. We are glad to pass this torch to fresh soldiers. We've had a long run, and it's good to see the end right when it counts.

No comments: