Wednesday, January 19, 2011

They should wear signs.

In stating a mere fact, I've noticed lately that EVERYBODY jumps in with what they think you should do. It didn't used to be that way, or at least it didn't seem to be. It wouldn't bother me if half these suggestions had at least some base in intelligent thought, but they don't. Just from today:

"Orren had a hard time at story hour today. We're going to keep taking him there so he can get used to being in a group of other kids, and doing activities as a group, before he goes to preschool. It's going to get better. Today was just not easy. He was starting to get the hang of it by the time it was time to go, so there's hope!"

People told me to send him to freakin' daycare. No way! He had a hard time with library story hour. Daycare would destroy him at this point. HORRIBLE idea. Plus, why would I waste money on that? And even if I would, it's not an option since he's selectively vaccinated. More than any of that, I have a plan for this. I didn't ask for advice. Why give it?


"I got everything I ordered for my mantle. It still needs something. I'm thinking a large antique blue glass vase would be perfect. Looks like I'll be hitting the antique shops this weekend."

Does this sound like a plea for advice to you? I got told to go to big box retailers. Dude, when is the last time you saw an antique ANYTHING at a major retailer? Upon being told that I will be going to the antique shops that abound in a certain part of the metro area, the response was, "Oh, hmmm.... well, then I don't know what to tell you." You don't know what to tell me? How about, "Oh, that's good." or "We have antique shops here?" or "Why wait for the weekend? Let's go today!" or "Good luck finding that"?


"I wish the Babies R Us here carried X type of carseat. I need one for the new baby, and getting a discount on it for trading in something old we have laying around would be amazing."

I get this: "You can order it from the website and do site to store shipping."

To which I replied: "I know that option exists, but in using it, will the trade-in discount apply? I can pay full price for this thing on at least a dozen websites that ship way faster than BRU."

And I got this: "No, the discount wouldn't apply."


Face.... meet palm.

People are so stupid, and think everyone wants their misguided stupid advice. When did this happen? I don't remember it always being like this!

No comments: