Friday, January 28, 2011

I'm going to go ahead and take that as a compliment.

THE funniest thing happened yesterday. I'm still laughing about it. It was hilarious. I'm half amused, half flattered, and my friends and I have a hot new inside joke for the rest of our lives. This was great.

I did what nobody should ever do, and got into a political discussion with an idiot. I blame my friend J. She started it by saying she likes the Obamas, and I said that me and Thak like the Obamas, too, and how I JUST BARELY missed going to the luncheon with Michelle at Ft. Stewart during the campaign (she had to cancel her trip to Ft. Stewart at the last minute). We also started talking about how some of the policy changes they have made are awesome. Honestly, we have the Obama administration to thank for the fact that Thak didn't get his contract involuntarily extended last week when the deployment orders came down. They are the ones who killed Stop Loss and replaced it with the new incentive program that Thak himself has implemented in his battalion over the past few days. It's wonderful, and we know who did this for us. We're not stupid. The Obama administration is helping soldiers who have done their part, and that's something I can really get behind. Well, this girl who is somewhat new here started talking the usual neo-con garbage, which J and I brushed off because we're smarter than that.

I was done with that conversation until that girl gave me a retort I could not resist. She goes, "Well, maybe you two will understand why ALL senior families hate the Obamas when you are part of senior families." My interest was piqued bigger than anything, and J said I got the evilest grin on my face. You can surely imagine. I said, "Out of curiosity, what's a senior family by your definition?" (This day and age, hard and fast definitions of most terms have mostly gone by the wayside, so it's best to ask people what they mean.) She went on to basically describe me and Thak. J couldn't resist. She goes, "Anna, doesn't Thak have about 18 years in? He joined in what, 1993, right?" and I said, "You're absolutely right, J. Thak has 18 years of service. I know he looks young for that. He was only 17 when he enlisted." By this time, J and I were trying to hold back the giggles, because it was just so funny! The neo-con girl had nothing. She goes, "Well, MOST senior families know how bad all of this is going to end up!" and again, we pointed her to the many examples of Colonels, Generals, Sergeants Major, and other very senior personnel we know of who most certainly do not believe that, and she soon shut up. It was so funny!

This was hilarious because it is FAR from the first time that I have been presumed too young to be a senior wife, and the things people say to me when they're under that assumption are extremely amusing. I'll take it as a compliment that I don't look like I could be a senior wife, and just enjoy pulling the card out and surprising people like this with it for as long as I can. I've got to admit, it is extremely amusing. Plus, now whenever anyone wants to do anything, or asks a question, "Just wait until you're a senior wife." is the perfect response.... and makes us giggle like school girls.

No comments: