Saturday, January 8, 2011

I guess it has to happen to everybody eventually.

This morning, on the Garrison Commander's Q&A discussion board, I saw a post about reenlistment. That being Thak's area, and for some strange reason, the area most fraught with misunderstanding, I jumped in with a few little insights. Then when Thak woke up, I asked him for some definite answers to things. The answer to the question was September. I heard that as December (Erin was playing her violin and Orren was banging a drum at this point. You may imagine how this happened.)

I thought nothing else of it, and we went to the store to pick up a few odds and ends that I needed to make lunch. As we were in the check-out, Thak's phone rang. It was his boss. She had gotten a call from the head of reenlistment for this whole post (a Sergeant Major, just in case you were curious), and the gist was, "What the hell did your wife just say??" She also said there's going to be a meeting on Monday morning about the Garrison Commander's page, and you KNOW this is going to be part of it. Ugh.... sucks to be me.

So I got home, and was going to make another post to clear up this misunderstanding, and I had a message from this Sergeant Major about the same exact thing. Nice. She wasn't mean or rude or anything. She was just doing her job. It was just crappy that it had to go like that. Anyhow, I wrote her back, and made another post to clarify the information. The incorrect information was up for a total of 40 minutes.

The reason all this sucks is because of the timing. I have NEVER made Thak look stupid. Thak has consistently gotten compliments on how professional his family is, and how we're great, and how I'm such an asset to him. Two months before he begins terminal leave, all that just came crashing down. I hope that enough people know that I am NOT someone who gives out bad information, and realize that a once a decade screw-up is only human. This is the Army we're talking about, though.

Hello coals.... meet ass.

No comments: