Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"Don't do too much."

No fewer than five people have said this to me in the past week, because I've had so much going on with everything. We had science fair and ballet recital for Erin, everything on the face of the earth for Thak, and of course I've had to do everything around here myself because Thak is not available to help since he's working so many hours lately. (It's necessary, and he IS moving up, so it's working, but it requires a lot of the whole family for him to be there every minute the shop is open and then some.)

"Don't do too much!"

What should lapse? Should my house be disgusting so that the baby can be born into filth? Should we stop eating so I don't have to cook? Should we have just said no, we're not doing a science project, and let Erin get a failing grade in science? (Yes, science fair was mandatory participation for first graders. I don't care that a lot of people think that's ridiculous. We think it's great, and like the fact that our kid goes to the only school in this part of the state that still does it that way.) Should she just not make the required rehearsals, and not be allowed to dance in her recital that she's been working toward all year? Should Thak wear filthy disgusting uniforms to work so that he looks like crap and the customers don't like him? Should Orren be bored and restless and never go out of the house? Tell me. What of this stuff can go?

It would be different if they said, "Don't do too much. What time does Erin need to be at ballet? Maybe I can give her a ride there or back." or "Don't do too much. Do you have enough casseroles frozen up for after the birth?" or anything other than just "Don't do all this stuff you can't possibly get out of." It's just so hollow.

No comments: