Monday, May 2, 2011

So many medications...

A strange thing I've noticed over the course of this pregnancy is that I am unable to talk in mixed company about how things are REALLY going. Well, I could I guess. The outcome of it is very annoying, though. We live in such a pill popping culture these days, that if anything is remotely wrong, everyone just wants a prescription for it, and that goes double during pregnancy.

Zantac for the heartburn
Ambien to sleep
some iron pill of some variety for the anemia (which was more than likely caused by the antacids in a lot of cases)
Tylenol 3 or Codene for the aches and pains
Zofran for the nausea

And that's barely the beginning. Are you kidding me? My whole thing is that none of these medications have existed for long enough for us to actually know the longterm effects on the baby. Taking that into account, why would anyone take these things in the first place? I don't.

Yes, I get heartburn even looking at food this time around. I couldn't get actual sleep if the fate of the free world depended on it. I'm fighting anemia. I have more aches and pains than I ever knew I could, AND I was nauseous for over half this pregnancy. Still, I dealt with it through diet and other non-pharmaceutical means. I'm still dealing with it. It isn't fun. I'm not going to tell you that, though, because you'll just tell me to run to a doctor and get some prescription, and honestly, nothing makes that seem like a good idea. Pain is temporary. Remembering that is the key.

No comments: