Sunday, May 15, 2011

The sleepover that wasn't.

So the bonus kid did show, and she and Erin played for a while before going to bed, and then me and Thak were just hanging out watching some Harold and Kumar until we went to bed. I walked into the kitchen to get some ice water, and the bonus kid apparently snuck up behind me and raked her big fake nails along my shoulder. She scared the shit out of me, and to be honest, my knee jerk reaction would have been a lot worse than what she really got, which was yelled at to "NEVER EVER DO THAT AGAIN!!" I don't think this kid has ever been yelled at in her life, judging by the look on her face. She stepped back, and wouldn't tell me what she wanted, as in why she was out there in the first place an hour after bedtime. So I just let it go, but I felt bad for scaring her like that.

After I had calmed down, I told Thak that I just was really stressed with this, and that I just thought it was really unfair that I had to deal with this kid on top of everything else. She gets into everything, plays sneaky games which I HATE, and while she's not a bad kid, she doesn't know how we do things here, so it's like constant redirection anytime she's in the house. It's tiring, and I'm already exhausted. It is hard for me having to deal with other people's kids in general, and Erin is to an age where there are other kids to be dealt with. This is THE single most stressful thing I do. Of course, we have also had other stressful things going on lately. Thak getting established at his new job, Erin's first science fair and ballet recital all in the space of a week, oh, and right... I'm having a baby soon, too. I have a ton on my plate, and honestly, more kids is the stress equivalent of a heaping helping of liver and onions.

A couple hours later, Thak was locking up the doors before we went to bed, and he found her in Erin's doorway crying. He brought her out and asked her what was wrong. She said she wanted to go home. Great... So we got ahold of her parents, and it ended up being that the only solution that worked at all was for Thak to drive her home. He did, and it was fine.

This morning, her mom was asking me if she was a brat and what happened. Great. The kid heard the WHOLE conversation between me and Thak, about how I don't like other kids around, and how hard it is for me to deal with them, and how I think it's so unfair that they needlessly dumped their kid off on me at this point in time when I already have so much on my plate. So her mom, who's one of the only cool people I know here, was asking me about it. I explained the whole thing, but great. Now she's going to hate me because I honestly WASN'T ok with having this kid dumped off on me for no good reason on top of the heaping pile of shit I already have going on. I mean, how do you say in a nice way, "Yeah, your kid was the LAST thing I wanted to deal with at that exact moment..."? Shouldn't it be obvious? I don't want her to hate me over this, but she's going to. That sucks, because I would NEVER do this to anybody. If I had a friend who had everything going on that I have going on, the LAST thing I would do is try to send Erin over there for a sleepover. I would know she wouldn't want that. I hate that I have been put in this position.

No comments: