Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I fear no sushi.

I like sushi. I've never really understood why pregnant women aren't supposed to eat it. I mean, I highly doubt women in Japan go cold turkey on the sashimi the minute they pee on a stick and see two lines. In fact, every Japanese woman I know thinks this American custom of not eating sushi during pregnancy is a little crazy. Because of this, I asked Alyson (who is not Japanese, but does know a thing or two about pregnancies) about it at our last appointment and she said she eats sushi while pregnant, and sees no problem with it. She said she thinks it's one of those things that someone's "friend of a friend of a friend had something go wrong so now nobody can eat sushi during pregnancy" type of things. I tend to agree. Most every custom of mainstream American pregnancy is based on hearsay, or at best, very rare instances. In fact, I'm going to bet more babies and moms have been harmed by labor induction (which a majority of American women gladly partake in) than eating sushi.

I ate sushi for lunch today. It was very good. Later this afternoon, I was out, and heard some women behind me who were also pregnant, talking about how they wanted sushi so bad, and had their favorite sushi places' menus in their hospital bags so they could eat it right after they had their babies.

I chuckled quietly to myself, and was glad to not be inhibited by such strange restrictions.

No comments: