Saturday, February 19, 2011

If you want to, do it. If you don't, then don't.

I am so tired of the questions I keep getting about cloth diapering. It's awesome that it's getting so popular here, but it's become a royal pain in the ass to be the one who's been doing it for longer than everyone, and is widely known to know more about it than anyone else here.

First of all, I refuse to try to convince you to do it. If you want to do it, you want to. If you don't want to, then the Huggies and Pampers are on aisle 10 of the commissary (ok, maybe not. I have no idea how the aisles are numbered here.) Knock yourself out. I started cloth diapering NOT because somebody sold me on it, but because I thought it sounded like an interesting idea, googled the shit out of it, and found that it really seemed like something me and Thak would succeed at. I never grilled anyone about what you do with the poop (I figured I'd learn that "on the job"), or if it's truly cost-effective even with utility bills, or if cloth diapers really work. I figured it was my responsibility to educate myself on it as best I could, then do it, and adjust fire as necessary. That is your responsibility as well. I am not here to convince people to cloth diaper. I can tell you that my utility bills didn't go up when I started cloth diapering. I can also tell you that I find disposables about 100 times more disgusting than cloth could ever dream of being. What I cannot do is tell you exactly what you will experience or think. If you aren't convinced enough to try it after your own research, then I really can't make your mind up for you.

What's more, my cloth diapering system is my cloth diapering system. I keep it extremely simple compared to a lot of people these days. I use a ton of prefolds. I don't own a sprayer. My laundry routine is offensively simple. This stuff doesn't work for everybody. It works for me. It's not my job to make you like it. I can tell you what I do. I can tell you what I think might work for you. I cannot tell you definitively what you will like and not like. It isn't my fault if you try this out and hate it. What's more, copying my system is probably a recipe for disaster. Everyone's babies are different. My system works for Orren. If your babies are built exactly like Orren, then you may have luck with this as well. If not, then you probably won't like it at all. I don't KNOW what fits chunky thighs!!!! I don't have a chunky baby!!!! Stop asking me to fit your baby. I am not a professional cloth diaper fitter.

This isn't to say that I'm totally unwilling to help people. I'll teach people how to use prefolds all day long. In fact, that's what I spent the cloth diapering party doing. I brought stuffed animals, a bunch of prefolds, snappis, and covers, and I taught prefolds to everyone who wanted to learn. I'm really good at prefolds. I'll also help you pick out a good detergent for your type of diapers, your machine, and our local water type. I'll help you figure out if some ebay auction you find is a good deal or not. I'll help you figure out how many diapers to buy. I'll even point you to my favorite discount hotspots. I will give you insider tips that took me years to discover.

What I will not do, however, is convince you to cloth diaper, and hold your hand every step of the way. If you're going to talk with me about this, you need to already want it.

No comments: