Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Yes, I said FOOD!!

I sometimes forget what company I'm in. It's hilarious. I mentioned that although it's kind of early to be thinking this way, I've been contemplating the food I want to have for the birth. I even talked about this with Alyson at this evening's appointment. She didn't think I was so crazy! Ha! I just think it's so funny the reactions I get when I mention to someone that I'm planning the menu for my homebirth. They look at me funny, and say "Menu? For the birth?"

So yes! Once and for all, it is ok to eat during labor! The fact that mainstream medical professionals don't allow their patients to do so is a huge reason for pitocin augmentation, c-sections for failure to progress, stalled labor, and every other thing you can imagine. You didn't need pitocin. You needed a cheeseburger!! Well, maybe at least a granola bar, or some fruit, but a cheeseburger would be more my style. Eat whatever you want, but do eat! It's good for you. The average labor expends 10,000 calories. It is literally a marathon. Even marathoners get snacks and drinks along the way. Why should you accept less during labor? You shouldn't! You should eat!

So yes, there will be a lot of food at my homebirth. It will be for me just as much as it is for everybody else who's there. I will have a better birth with it than I would without. Food!!! Every pregnant lady's best friend!!!



Oh, and it was a good appointment tonight. Everything looks awesome, and the baby has grown A LOT. It's looking to be another big one, but no surprise there. They don't tend to get smaller with each successive baby. If he/she keeps growing like this, we're probably looking at a 10 pounder, but Orren was close to that anyway, so I'm not worried about it. I guess we'll find out in a few months! The baby is super healthy, though, and that is what matters.

No comments: