Monday, November 15, 2010

I mean, it is the stuff we need, right?

Is it weird to register for nursing stuff? I personally don't think it is. In fact, I buy nursing-supportive gifts for friends who are planning on breastfeeding. I buy them Lansinoh (aka, the best stuff on earth... lanolin cream for cracked nipples), and nice reusable nursing pads, and sometimes if I think they'd want one, I make them a nursing cover to use in public. I don't think it's weird to give breastfeeding gifts. Then again, I also find the idea of giving birth in my bathtub pretty appealing, so my view is going to be a little skewed on a lot of stuff related to babies.

When it comes to registering for nursing stuff, I don't see the difference between registering for nursing pads and Lansinoh, and the way some moms register for formula. Nobody bats an eye at that (except those of us who cannot believe anyone would admit defeat, and use formula without even TRYING to breastfeed!). In general, it's considered very acceptable. I wonder if this extends to breastfeeding goodies, though.

It's on my mind because in 6-8 weeks, we will be making our registry, and the site we're registering at, cottonbabies.com, does not only sell cloth diapers. They also sell a lot of really great nursing stuff that I really would like to have, and isn't a registry supposed to reflect what you really honestly want and need? I want two new diaper covers, three more Snappi fasteners, five more sets of those nice soft organic hemp nursing pads if they've still got them (I have one pair that I got for free with a diaper purchase before Orren was born), a few nursing tank tops, Lansinoh, and milk storage bags. (It never hurts to have your own personal milk storage because if something happens to you and you can't nurse for a while, like you're on some medication, the baby can still eat.) That's all I want, though. I don't have need of duplicates of a ton of stuff that I already have. Really the ONLY thing I'm critically short of is nursing stuff. We need a couple diapering odds and ends, and those are the fun purchases because they're brightly colored and adorable, but what we really have absolutely none of is nursing stuff.

I think I'll register for it anyhow. If anyone thinks it's weird, I'll remind them that wouldn't bat an eye if I had Similac on there in place of the hemp nursing pads. Ha! Who am I kidding? Nearly nobody even pays attention to what anyone registered for! It doesn't even matter anyhow!

No comments: