Monday, November 8, 2010

This assignment, I don't like.

I love Erin's school, but there's one assignment that I totally loathe. It's the reading log. Basically, somehow, the child has to log at least 100 minutes of reading per week, and they're graded on it. It's part of their reading grade at the end of each term. Now, for most kids to accomplish this, it's really as simple as sitting them down with a pile of early reader books, and telling them to have at it, occasionally checking in with them. For me, though, since mine isn't reading yet, it means I have to read Erin like 4 or 5 books per night, which is exactly what I DON'T want to do at the end of the day when I just want to get these kids to bed so I can be done for the day. One book each? Great. Two, ok. I can deal with this. Five damned books just so I can make the time requirement and make sure my kid's grade doesn't suffer? That's asking a lot.

It would be totally different if this did not figure into her grade. Then it would be a lot more casual, we'd do our best to make 100 minutes, but just generally keep doing what we'd always done, maybe adding a few more, but as it is, it's like I'M partially responsible for her reading grade since I'm the one doing this assignment.

No comments: