Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Yes, I'm the crazy one. Of course.

In this part of the country, there are two things that will boost your chances of getting a job. One is to be bilingual. The other is to network. A well-connected person does not necessarily need to be bilingual to get job offers, but someone who's not well-connected absolutely must be bilingual.

This, of course, causes massive controversy, as to whether it's right or wrong. I personally don't care if it seems right or wrong. It is what it is. Find me the one international border of two countries with different dominant languages, at which both languages aren't spoken equally, or at which there is not a separate dialect which is comprised of both. It doesn't exist. We live in a border region. It is what it is.

The thing that people are telling me I'm nuts for is for saying that until the US makes its official language English, employers on this side of the border are absolutely justified in their hiring preference toward bilingual applicants. Now, though, the US has no official language, so employers can prefer whichever language or combination of languages they want. If some restaurant in downtown Manhattan decided they only wanted to hire people who spoke fluent Swahili, that would be perfectly legal, too. The US has no official language, and there is no complaint about equal employment opportunity as long as people are allowed to prefer bilingual applicants. If you apply for a job that prefers bilingual, and you are not bilingual, then why on earth would they hire you? You don't meet the job requirements. This is totally legal.

I just feel like I'm on an idiot hamster wheel, trying to break stuff down to people that they should have learned sometime in middle school. I thought it was common knowledge that the US has no official language. I personally don't care if the government ever adopts one, and honestly, I don't think they ever will. The reason for the latter is extremely simple. Every politician recognizes the importance of the Latino vote, so if they vote to make English the official language, in essence, giving Spanish the one finger salute, they'll lose at least part of the Latino vote over that, and it could cost them their job in Congress. Make no mistake about it. Job one for any of our elected officials is to get reelected. That's why the US will never have an official language.

Now you know. If any of the idiots who have said my sanity is questionable, and my intelligence lacking, for saying that English is not the official language of the United States should read this, do as I've told you already. Look it up. Call any history, government, or political science professor or grad student at the university and ask them. Ask the General. I'll bet he knows especially since he's from around here. Really, this information is out there, and it's pretty common knowledge. It's not my fault that you are clueless. Stop acting like I'm the bad guy because I bring real facts to the table.

No comments: