Monday, November 15, 2010

Read THIS.

The best pregnancy and birth book in the entire world, I'm thoroughly convinced, is Spiritual Midwifery, by Ina May Gaskin.

The rest of the world tells me I'm crazy, reckless, "brave" (which is a nicer way of meaning crazy), or stupid. Ina May reassures me that I'm right. In the rabble of mainstream pregnancy books which emphasize scary interventions, it's rather nice to read about Ina May and her comrades delivering babies in Army tents, and on buses, and in cabins, and it going very well in general, even through complications which rarely would arise. The best thing in the world for an expecting mom to read is positive natural birth stories, and nobody writes them better than Ina May!

The only drawback is that it really makes me wish we'd taken the orders to Ft. Campbell when we could have. Had we done that, Orren would have been born at The Farm. That's not to say Orren's birth wasn't nearly perfect. It absolutely was, and I loved his birth in every way. It's just that reading all this from The Farm would make any mom wish at least a little bit that her babies were born there! What an amazing thing to be a part of... It's great even to read about it.

No comments: